A very happy new year to you all! I hope you have a healthy and successful year ahead. 2015 has been bittersweet but thinking back, there have been some truly happy, warm and wonderful moments. Here’s to hoping that this year brings even more moments like that for us all.
Now, no one really sets goals this time of year, but I thought I’d do something different. So here goes…
(That was sarcasm, just to clarify. Let’s jump on the bandwagon of tradition and set some resolutions!)
- Write a little bit every day.
I’ve tried (and failed) to do this before, but this year I’ve got a plan: I’ll write anything, anything, be it six-word stories, first lines, last lines, bad jokes, or shopping lists. I’ll be happy if I spend even five minutes a day writing something I don’t have to for the next 365 days.
- Make a list of and participate in writing competitions.
- Send work off to be published:
- Write, edit and finalise short stories/poetry
- Get subscriptions to magazines/journals
- Send, send, send (maybe once a month?)
I want to take decisive steps towards being a published author this year. The first step (apart from actually writing) seems to be sending my writing to different journals and magazines, whether they’re in print or digital. Let me know if you know any good magazines to publish short fiction!
- Read the writing-related books, articles and guides I’ve got saved.
Not only are my bookmarks filled with links I’ve saved, but my dad has also sent me loads of helpful articles. I’m planning to read a few every weekend, or maybe one a day at least. Baby steps…
- Have at least one short story finished per month.
I won’t set my goals too high. I’ll be honest: I’ve never kept my resolutions (that I know of). I plan to change this (as always), but I figured I’ll start small.